If you’re looking to add a bit of extra protection to your paintings, consider double framing them. This technique involves attaching a second frame to the back of the first, essentially creating a “sandwich” around the artwork. Not only does this provide extra support, but it can also give the painting a bit of extra depth and dimension.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to double framing a painting:
1. Start by removing the painting from its current frame. If it’s an oil painting, be sure to remove the backing board as well.
2. Next, measure the painting and cut a piece of cardboard or foam core to fit snugly inside the frame. This will be the “spacer” between the two frames.
3. Once the spacer is cut, re-assemble the painting and place it back in the frame.
4. Now it’s time to attach the second frame. First, measure the frame and cut a piece of wood or metal to fit.
5. Attach the frame piece to the back of the first frame using screws, nails, or adhesive. Be sure to attach it securely so that it doesn’t fall off.
6. Hang the painting back on the wall and enjoy your extra-protected artwork!
Other related questions:
How do you make a double picture frame?
There are a few different ways that you can make a double picture frame. One way is to simply purchase two identical frames and then place one frame inside of the other. Another way is to create a frame using two pieces of wood that are the same size and then attaching them together using hinges.
How do you double mat a painting?
There are a few different ways that you can double mat a painting. One way is to simply mat the painting with two mats, one on top of the other. Another way is to mat the painting with one mat and then frame it with a second frame on top of the first. Finally, you can mat the painting with one mat and then add a second mat on top of it, securing it in place with tape or glue.
How do you use a double sided frame?
To use a double sided frame, simply insert your photo or other item into the frame from the back. The frame will have two panes of glass, with a space in between them for your item. Make sure that your item is centered in the frame before closing it.
What is a double mount frame?
A double mount frame is a frame that has two mounts, one on the top and one on the bottom. This allows you to display two pictures in one frame.
- HOW TO Make a DOUBLE picture frame // WnW 212 – YouTube
- Our Frame of Mind – Pinterest
- Double Framing Artwork
- DIY Double Frame Project Tutorial – JESSIKA REED
- Your Guide to Double Matting | Level Frames
- The Professional Framer’s Secret for Cutting a Double Mat
- Double Mats and Picture Framing – Phoenix Art Supplies