Before you can start painting your plastic model, you need to do some basic preparation. This will ensure that the paint adheres properly to the surface and that your finished product looks its best.
1. Start by cleaning the model with a mild soap and water solution. This will remove any grease or dirt that could prevent the paint from adhereing properly.
2. Next, use a fine-grit sandpaper to lightly sand the surface of the model. This will create a “tooth” for the paint to grip onto. Be sure to sand evenly, as any unevenness will be visible in the final product.
3. Once you’ve sanded the model, wipe it down with a clean, dry cloth to remove any dust.
4. Now you’re ready to paint! Be sure to use a primer designed for plastic surfaces. This will help the paint to adhere better and provide a more even finish.
With just a little bit of preparation, you can achieve professional-looking results when painting your plastic models. So get out your brushes and get to work!
Other related questions:
How do you get paint to stick to plastic models?
There are a few ways to get paint to stick to plastic models, but one of the most common ways is to use a primer. Primer helps to create a smooth surface for the paint to adhere to, and it also helps to prevent the paint from chipping or flaking off of the model.
How do you prep plastic for painting?
There are a few different ways that you can prep plastic for painting, depending on the type of paint you plan on using. For example, if you are using enamel paint, you will want to clean the plastic surface with a degreaser or alcohol to remove any oils or dirt. Once the surface is clean, you can then sand it lightly with fine-grit sandpaper to help the paint adhere. If you are using acrylic paint, you may not need to do any additional prep work beyond cleaning the surface.
Should models be primed before painting?
Some modelers choose to prime their models before painting, while others do not. There are pros and cons to priming models, and ultimately it is up to the individual modeler to decide whether or not to prime their models.
What kind of primer should I use on plastic models?
There are a few different types of primers that can be used on plastic models, but the most common and recommended type is an acrylic primer. This type of primer will adhere well to most plastics, and will provide a good base for paint to adhere to.
- Build great scale models, Part 4 – FineScale Modeler
- 3 Ways to Paint Plastic Models – wikiHow
- How do you prepare the plastic model for painting
- Steps For Painting A Plastic Model Kit